Links – Programs
- The Sir Isaac Newton Prize Exam: A physics exam targeted at high school students.
- GEERing UP! UBC Engineering & Science for Kids: Host various events and outreach activities for those living in the GVRD. More information is available at their website.
- GIRLsmarts4tech: A fun program from the Department of Computer Science at UBC for girls in grades 6-7 to come learn about problem solving and computers.
- TechTrek by the Department of Computer Science at UBC: TechTrek is a series of weekend camps designed to expose high school students to a WIDE variety of fun and educational concepts, topics and activities related to Computer Science! The TechTrek Saturdays program brings high-school students and parents to campus for a half-day of computer-science activities, talks by real industry professionals and university experts about the cutting edge of technology– all in a fun, friendly environment, complete with snacks!
Links – Educational Websites
- Scale of the Universe An interactive model which lets one see the scale of various objects in the Universe compared to each other, and tells you more information about them.
- Stellarium Free, downloadable virtual planetarium which lets one see the night sky as it would be seen using a telescope.
- MIT Game Lab Educational games in a myriad of topics produced by MIT’s game lab. Includes: A Slower Speed of Light. A game that simulates a world where the speed of light is gradually lowered, and shows what relativistic effects we would see in reality. Very computer intensive.
- Khan Academy Contains a huge selection of videos on many different topics ranging from biology to economics. Great for self study.
- KDE Education Project A website with a large variety of freely downloadable educational software. Includes: KGeography. A game that lets you browse the maps of the world, including each nation’s flag and capital, and then quizzes you.
- Kerbal Space Program A game that lets you simulate and manage your own space program. The demo version is free to play.
- GeoGebra A YouTube channel that includes geometry, spreadsheet and algebra examples from elementary to university level.
- Ask an Astronomer by the UBC Astronomy Club: A site for people to ask questions about Astronomy regardless of their experience level.
Elementary School (pre-K to Gr 6)
- Tux Paint Downloadable drawing program for young children. Simple and full of fun effects.
- GCompris Downloadable software containing a wide variety of educational activities and games.
- Loom An interactive game with a good story, Loom is a good program to help train musical note recognition.
- Lawrence Hall of Science A website that has a variety of apps and games to help children explore and discover the physical world.
- Algebra for Kids A set of beginner’s algebra notes created by Jess Brewer.
- Dragonbox An app that teaches young children algebra (without them realizing it). The 5+ version is recommended by a faculty member, although she hasn’t tested the 12+ version with her children yet.
Middle and High School (Gr 7 to Gr 12)
- Science Buddies A website which contains many ideas and guides for various science projects.
- Test Tube Games A collection of flash games dealing with topics such as particle physics and special relativity.
- The Particle Adventure An interactive tour of particle physics. Introduces topics such as quarks, neutrinos, antimatter and accelerators.
- CERN Physics A series of articles from CERN explaining various topics in modern physics.
University Level and Above
- Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics Provides many videos and public lectures on advanced physics.
- PhET: Collection of applets that demonstrate physics and math.
- MIT OpenCourseWare Huge database of free online college courses, many complete with full lectures and problem sets.
- Stanford Engineering Everywhere A list of free, fully online courses from Stanford focusing on computer science and electrical engineering.
- Udacity Interactive collage classes. Join classes, watch videos, participate in activities and learn about a variety of different subjects!