We are looking for a UBC undergraduate student to fill a camp leader position for our Phenomenal Physics Summer Camps. This position will start on July 3rd (a week before the summer camp program begins on July 9th), and end on August 3rd (the last day of the summer camp program), for a total of 5 weeks in 2018.
Your job is to develop, build and deliver summer camp activities for groups of 18-20 students in grades 2-10, as defined on our website. You will work with and report to the Communications Coordinator as a whole, the summer outreach coop student, as well as summer camp teachers during camp hours. You will be responsible for the keeping the students on-task and learning, and for their safety. You can find additional information about the camps here: https://outreach.phas.ubc.ca/summer-camps/ (note that we are still working on 2018 camp descriptions). The two camps that will be led by this leader position are the Advanced Physics Camp (2 sessions) and Physics & Computer Science Camp (2 sessions – computer science instructors could be hired separately – see qualification).
The total pay for this position will be $3,000 (pay starts in July at $600/wk per UBC payment schedule). Commitments include:
- Prep work, July 3rd-6th, 9am – 5pm daily with one hour break time.
- Summer camps from July 9– August 3rd. A typical summer camp day runs from 9am-4pm including a total of one hour break time. We expect staff to arrive around 8:15-30am, and leave around 4:30-5pm. There are weekly 1-hr staff meetings on Thursday.
- The student will also be expected to attend the volunteer training (1 afternoon) and three planning sessions in May/June. The student can opt for participating in volunteer interview sessions (3 afternoons in May/June) but it is not required.
- Good basic grasp of physics and the ability to explain it at all levels K-12 is a requirement.
- Experience working with a group of children (especially in sports or summer camp settings) an asset.
- Hands-on experience with building things in general (using hand tools) or with electronics is essential.
- Applicants with experience in computer science might also be involved in developing computer science sessions (we are most likely going to do Python), with additional hours paid at $20/hour.
- All camp staff will go through criminal record checks.
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter/email describing your interest in the job and highlight your qualifications. Only candidates we would like to interview would be notified. Application deadline is April 1, 2018.